Is the policy-making body and deliberative body of the SADC Parliamentary Forum which is constituted of Speakers and four representatives elected by each national parliament. The Plenary Assembly meets twice a year in the member states on a rotational basis and representatives serve for a period of five years. The Plenary Assembly advises SADC Summit on matters of regional policy issues and promotes the objectives and programmes of SADC.
Presiding Officers and three representatives of member National Parliaments.
There will be two (2) meetings per annum, typically held around March/April and November.
- Chaired by Chairperson of the Forum
- At Headquarters (Windhoek) or in different member States on a rotational basis
- Policy making and deliberative body
- Approve annual budget and audited accounts
- Make recommendations to SADC authorities on any matter
- Advise SADC Summit on matters of overall policy
- Scrutinise and make recommendations on SADC budget and Annual Reports
- Consider and make recommendations on any treaties and draft treaties referred to it by SADC
- Promote objectives and programmes of SADC
- Study, be briefed and make recommendations on all SADC Sectoral Reports
- Observer representation in SADC Summit Meetings
- Consulted by any SADC institution on any major activity
- Exercise power to send for person(s), papers and records of any SADC official or SADC institution
- Debate issues
Upon becoming a Regional Parliamentary Structure, it will serve as legislative body of SADC (Constitution; Article 8 (3) (B).